Wednesday, February 23, 2011

People spend more time planning a two-week vacation than retirement. Phil Blom

What are you doing in Retirement?
This is one thing I am doing.
What can I do that confirms people don’t read, Chardonnay  and Bud Light are popular and I end up cold and smelling like a brewery?  This would be CAN DUTY for Dollars for Scholars.  This local program provides scholarships for students and every dollar given goes to scholarships.  The board collects 5 cent refund cans in a large fence bin and uses that money for all administrative costs.
This bin is about 6 feet tall with a padlocked gate.  There is a sign that says Dollars for Scholars and requesting no glass – see above that people can’t or won’t read.  In one week’s time the bin will be from ½ full to 2/3’s full.  Sooo…when a board member has the beloved CAN DUTY, here’s what happens.
·        Call ahead to the recycler to reserve a space in a bin
·        Gather directions, tape, bags, key…a vehicle…pickup or van is best
·        Arrive at the collection bin and unlock
·        Any grocery store bags need to be opened and put into a large bag
·        Any glass must be put in a box….and broken glass put in trash
·        Boxed empty cans can be taped shut and bags must be tied shut
·        Load all the cans and redeemable glass into vehicle 
·        Deliver to recycling center and label it so the check is sent to Dollars for Scholars!
It has been winter so I’m bundled up in my red coat, red Peruvian hat, gloves and mittens, and boots.  Go to our pickup and find the bed full of snow.  So I shovel out the bed.   I thought I’d be done at the outside in an hour.  The bin is really full.  Some of the bags felt really heavy…a good sign that there is glass.  (I’m amazed that you can throw bags of glass over a 6 ft fence and so little actually breaks!)  I started the sorting process and it was really cold, so I filled the truck and came home to the garage sorted…delivered that to center and went back to the bin to get yet more!  Sorted that and delivered it to the center…Three hours later I was home…and washed the coat, gloves and mittens.  Next time surely there will be fewer cans!

No comments:

Post a Comment